Doing Public Works Projects
CSLB has a Public Works Unit that assists agencies to make sure appropriately licensed contractors are hired for public works projects.
CSLB also investigates complaints regarding public works projects, and partners with the Department of Industrial Relations/Division of Labor Standards Enforcement to ensure prevailing wage standards are met.
Review of contracts, blueprints, and scope of project work is usually performed as a courtesy to the public works agency.
Other Entities Involved in the Contracting Process
- Business and trade associations, such as chambers of commerce and industry groups, have workshops, conferences and/or conventions that can provide training, networking, and contract opportunities with the private and public sector.
- Agencies that award public works contracts usually provide briefings of the request for proposal (RFP) and bid process.
- Private schools and community colleges offer courses on reading blueprints, estimating, and bidding.
- Government agencies are required to post an RFP for contracts that go out to bid. The RFP usually lists all requirements and specifications, including contractor classifications.
Agencies and Organizations
- FEMA - coordinates federal public works projects
- California Department of General Services - coordinates state public work programs and bid process
- State agencies may have bid information on their individual websites.
- Consumer Protection Organizations
- Industry-Related State Agencies
- Code-Related Organizations
- Industry Associations
- Industry-Related Organizations
- Licensing in Other States
- Other Links