Contractors State License Board Awards CSU Chico a Construction Management Education Grant
$67,000 will go towards educating tomorrow's industry leaders
SACRAMENTO — California State University (CSU) Chico is among the first of six California institutions to receive the first-ever grants from a sponsorship fund created to help meet the demand for highly educated and trained construction managers. Larry Booth, Chairman of the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) made the presentation of a check for $67,000 at an event held today on the University campus. The grant comes from the Construction Management Education Sponsorship Act (CMESA) that was established in 1991. Current contractors renewing their license contributed most of the money to the fund (91%). The remaining 9% came from newly licensed contractors.
"These first grant awards are an investment in the quality of the industry," said CSLB Chair Larry Booth, "We hope that more people will contribute to this fund as a way of insuring that tomorrow's construction managers are well prepared and of the highest quality." The grants come at an important time for the universities. The construction industry is booming and there's a real need for new construction managers. It's estimated that the industry will be looking to hire triple the number of construction management graduates than are currently enrolled.
The goal of CMESA is to maintain and increase the caliber and availability of educational programs for the construction industry. Funds generated by the CMESA go towards accredited construction management programs and facilities in California colleges and universities. Qualifying construction programs must lead to a bachelor degree and be accredited by the American Council for Construction Education, or place at least 50% of their graduates with California Licensed contractors.
"Once again, in an extraordinary way, California contractors send the crystal clear message of how critical the development of university educated construction managers is to construction - the largest industry in the country," said Tom Heustis, CSU Chico's Department of Construction Management Chair. "We truly appreciate the contractors' significant support of our program and their wisdom about higher education's responsibility to produce the future drivers of industry."
When the fund first started in 1991 contributions were limited to $25. In 2003, the State Legislature removed that limit. Now, Contractors or anyone else can contribute any amount they choose. Also, in 2003, the CMESA Account had grown enough to allow the first grant awards. The Construction Management Education Act Advisory Committee (CMEAAC) voted to expend the maximum $250,000 in Fiscal Year 2004-05 and another $250,000 in Fiscal Year 2005-06, in the amount of $1,000 per student. Applications were received from six state universities. Last November, the CMEAAC voted to award the following grants:
The Contractors State License Board, which operates under the umbrella of the California Department of Consumer Affairs, licenses 280,000 contractors in the State and investigates more than 20,000 complaints against licensed and unlicensed contractors every year. More information about the Contractors Board is available at www.cslb.ca.gov or by calling 1-800-321-CSLB (2752).
Sign Up For News Release Email Alerts
Please type in your email below and click submit.