Compliance Dates Delayed for Some Energy-Related Regulations in CA Building Standards Code
Energy provisions effective July 1, 2014, instead of January 1, 2014
SACRAMENTO — California contractors whose operations are affected by residential and non-residential energy regulations or CALGreen energy provisions are being alerted to the change in the effective date of the 2013 California Energy Code, 2013 California Administrative Code - Chapter 10, and certain energy provisions in the 2013 California Green Building Code (CALGreen).
The original effective date of January 1, 2014, for specific sections of the 2013 triennial edition of the California Building Standards Code, Title 24, has been changed to July 1, 2014.
The California Energy Commission (CEC) experienced unanticipated delays in developing complete performance compliance software for 2013 Public Domain Residential and Nonresidential California Building Energy Code Compliance guidelines, necessitating the CEC action to change the effective date of energy related provisions. The California Building Standards Commission (CBSC) approved the CEC action and issued Information Bulletin 13-07 on December 18, 2013, announcing the delayed effective date.
Contractors are encouraged to contact their local building enforcement agencies for assistance and/or clarification concerning the following summary of changes:
2013 CALIFORNIA ENERGY CODE, PART 6 – Effective July 1, 2014
- The 2013 California Energy Code, Part 6, Title 24, California Code of Regulations, now goes into effect on July 1, 2014. Until July 1, 2014, the 2010 California Energy Code, Part 6 is the effective code. The 2010 California Energy Code will remain in effect until July 1, 2014.
2013 CALIFORNIA ADMINISTRATIVE CODE, CHAPTER 10, Part 1 – Effective July 1, 2014
- The 2013 California Administrative Code, Chapter 10, Part 1, Title 24, California Code of Regulations now goes into effect on July 1, 2014. Until July 1, 2014, the 2010 California Administrative Code, Chapter 10, Part 1, continues to be the effective code. The 2010 California Administrative Code, Chapter 10, Part 1, will remain in effect until July 1, 2014.
- Questions about the change of the effective date of the 2013 energy provisions contained in Part 1, Chapter 10, and Part 6, California Administrative Code and California Energy Code, respectively, should be directed to the Energy Standards Hotline at (800) 772-3300 or via email at Title24@energy.ca.gov.
2013 CALGreen, PART 11
- Only affected energy provisions of the 2013 CALGreen, Part 11, Title 24, California Code of Regulations is delayed until July 1, 2014. The specific energy provisions that will not be effective until July 1, 2014 are identified on the CBSC website.
- Questions about CALGreen and the change of the effective date for residential green building standards should be directed to Emily Withers, District Representative, Department of Housing and Community Development at (916) 445-9471 or via e-mail: email@example.com.
- Questions regarding non-residential green building standards should be directed to CBSC at (916) 263-0916 or via e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that all other parts and provisions of the 2013 California Building Standards Code became effective on January 1, 2014.
APPLICATION OF BUILDING STANDARDS
California Health and Safety Code (HSC), Division 13, Part 2.5, Section 18938.5 states that only building standards approved by the CBSC, and that are effective at the local level at the time an application for a building permit is submitted, shall apply to the plans, specifications, and construction performed under that building permit. This section of law also provides for exceptions and should be carefully reviewed.
The 2013 California Energy Code, Part 6, the 2013 California Administrative Code, Part 1, Chapter 10, and the affected energy provisions of the 2013 CALGreen, Part 11 (as identified in Building Standards Information Bulletin 13-07, will apply to submitted permit applications on and after July 1, 2014.
Sign Up For Industry Bulletin Email Alerts
Please type in your email below and click submit.