Skip to Main Content
Home Page Menu
Organization Title

CSLB Reminds Contractors to Check with East Coast Jurisdictions before Traveling to Assist with Hurricane Sandy Recovery Efforts

East Coast cities have varying licensing, certification, permit laws

SACRAMENTO — There may be a lot of well-intentioned California contractors who want to head to the East Coast to assist in the rebuilding effort following last week’s hurricane. But, before going, the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) urges licensees to make sure they ask about specific licensing and other legal responsibilities required in cities, counties, and states that were affected by Hurricane Sandy to avoid illegal contracting violations.

“A California contractor license enables you to work in California,” said CSLB Registrar Steve Sands. “It would be a mistake to assume that having a California license enables you to work anywhere outside of this state.”

The laws in other states vary. Not all require licenses, while others require licenses and/or permits at the local level. Some cities have their own licensing or certification requirements. For example, all home improvement contractors working in New York City must be licensed by the city’s Department of Consumer Affairs as opposed to a state agency. Learn more about varying state licensing guidelines from the National Association of State Contractors Licensing Agencies.


Archives: 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 and Earlier

Sign Up For Industry Bulletin Email Alerts

Please type in your email below and click submit.

Archived Industry Bulletins

Back to Top