Board Meeting Minutes — April 29-30, 2010
Thursday April 29
CALL TO ORDER
Board Chair Edward Barnes called the meeting of the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) to order at 1:30 p.m. on April 29, 2010, in the Ferrante meeting room of the Monterey Convention Center. A quorum was established.
Secretary Bob Lamb led the Board in the Pledge of Allegiance.
|Board Members Present:|
|Eddie Barnes, Chair||Louise Kirkbride|
|Robert Lamb, Secretary||Ed Lang|
|Lisa Miller-Strunk, Vice Chair||Paul Schifino|
|Joan Hancock||Mark A. Thurman|
|Matthew Kelly||Ruben Zuniga|
|DCA/CSLB Staff Present:|
|Stephen Sands, Registrar||Rick Lopes, Public Affairs|
|Cindi Christenson, Chief Deputy Registrar||Tara Maggi, Executive|
|Don Chang, Legal Counsel (DCA)||Karen Ollinger, Licensing|
|Amy Cox-O’Farrell, Information Technology||Bob Porter, Testing|
|Michael Brown, Legislation||Larry Parrott, Administration|
|Jonathan Buttle, Budget||Missy Vickery, Enforcement|
|David Fogt, Enforcement|
CHAIR’S REMARKS AND BOARD MEMBER COMMENTS
Board Chair Eddie Barnes welcomed everyone to the Monterey meeting. CSLB Chair Barnes discussed the economic downturn, furloughs, budget cuts, and the upcoming Sunset Review.
PUBLIC COMMENT SESSION
There was public comment from contractors Ken Pratt and Rick Clements, who were disappointed with the increase of their insurance bond.
Al Lemming, a contractor, requested the Board’s review of a citation that was filed against him.
Karen Hughes, a concerned citizen, was dissatisfied with the Enforcement complaint process and requested clarification of the program.
Larry Back, a contractor, expressed his concern about contractors in his area who do not hold appropriate workers’ compensation insurance. Mr. Beck suggested CSLB conduct a sting in his community.
REVIEW AND APPROVAL OF MARCH 11, 2009 BOARD MEETING MINUTES
- Motion to Approve March 11, 2009 Board Meeting Minutes
- MOTION: A motion was made by Board Member Matt Kelly and seconded by Board Secretary Bob Lamb to approve the March 11, 2010 Board Meeting Minutes. The motion carried unanimously 10-0.
LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE REPORT
Chair Barnes introduced Legislative Committee Chair Lisa Miller-Strunk and Legislative Chief Mike Brown to present the Legislative Committee Report.
- Review and Consideration of Legislation
- Chair Miller-Strunk reviewed legislative proposals that were previously approved by the Board to move forward in this session.
- AB 660 Sprinkler fitter: licensing.—"Watch."
- SB 392 Contractors: limited liability companies.—"Watch."
- The author has accepted all amendments from staff. The author also accepted a staff-requested implementation date of July 2011.
- AB 2267 Contractors: license requirements: bond.
- A hearing has been scheduled for May 4, 2010.
- AB 2332 Contractors: licenses.
- Provides the Board of Equalization with the authority to request the suspension of a license for failure of a contractor to pay tax liability. The bill author has declined amendments suggested by staff.
- AB 2419 Contractors: unemployment insurance code.
- Clean-up legislation.
- SB 1254 Contractors: workers’ compensation insurance coverage.
- Landmark legislation that authorizes the Registrar to issue a stop order to any licensed or unlicensed contractor who, as an employer, has failed to secure workers’ compensation insurance coverage for his or her employees. Failure to comply will result in a misdemeanor. The bill will also grant nine peace officer positions throughout the state.
- SB 1491 Professions and vocations.
- Clean-up legislation.
- AB 2305 Contractors: workers’ compensation insurance coverage.— "Watch"
- SB 1171 Regulatory boards: operations.—"Watch"
- AB 2038 Franchise Tax Board: professional or occupational licenses.
- Will allow the Franchise Tax Board to suspend a license for non-payment of taxes. The author’s office accepted the extension of the operative date to January 2012.
Review and give preliminary approval of proposed regulatory changes to add California Code of Regulations Sections 858 through 858.8 relating to blanket payment and performance bonds.
Mike Brown asked for the Board to give preliminary approval of the proposed regulations to add California Code of Regulations, Sections 858 through 858.8 relating to Blanket Payment and Performance Bonds and to give the Registrar authority to make nonsubstantive changes as necessary.
- MOTION: A motion was made by Board Member Joan Hancock and seconded by Board Member Ed Lang to give preliminary approval of proposed regulatory changes that would add California Code of Regulations Sections 858 through 858.8 relating to blanket payment and performance bonds. The motion carried unanimously 10-0.
CSLB PROGRAM UPDATES
- ENFORCEMENT PROGRAM UPDATE
- Enforcement Committee Chair Ed Lang introduced Enforcement Program Manager Missy Vickery, who provided the Enforcement Intake/Mediation and Investigative Center updates. Ms. Vickery began with a background of the IMC unit, and included IMC highlights and new IMC strategies. Ms. Vickery continued her presentation with an overview of the CSLB Investigative Centers. She touched on the objectives, strategies, and highlights within the CSLB Investigative Centers.
- >Enforcement Chief David Fogt presented the Case Management and SWIFT updates. Mr. Fogt covered Case Management staffing and staff objectives, which he reported as being very successful. He provided an overview of the SWIFT unit and highlights, as well as EEEC operations for 2010.
- LICENSING PROGRAM UPDATE
- Licensing Committee Chair Joan Hancock introduced Licensing Chief Karen Ollinger, who provided an overview of the licensing units and their responsibilities. She reviewed the workload and processing times in the licensing application units updated the board on Licensing division statistics.
- TESTING PROGRAM UPDATE
- Chair Barnes introduced Testing Chief Bob Porter, who provided the Testing program update.
- PUBLIC AFFAIRS PROGRAM UPDATE
- Chair Barnes introduced Public Affairs Chief Rick Lopes, who presented the Public Affairs program update. Mr. Lopes provided a brief overview of the Public Affairs office and daily tasks, including media relations, disaster outreach and industry/licensee outreach. Chief Lopes also discussed community outreach, the CSLB Wellness Program, and PAO’s outlook for 2010-11.
- ADMINISTRATION AND IT PROGRAM UPDATE
- Mr. Barnes introduced Administration Chief Larry Parrott, who provided the Administration program update. Mr. Parrott began with a summary of the Administration Division and its operations. He continued to report on State examinations, staff positions and vacancies. Chief Parrott provided the Business Services update, reporting on office space, vehicles, and various contracts.
- Chair Barnes introduced IT Chief Amy Cox-O’Farrell, who provided the IT program update. Ms. Cox-O’Farrell discussed staff positions and vacancies, informing the board of daily IT tasks and services. She discussed Pocket Card equipment, CSLB e-mail notification, electronic payment at CSLB Headquarters, and the BreEZe online licensing project.
- BUDGET UPDATE
- Mr. Barnes introduced Budget Analyst Jonathan Buttle, who provided the Budget program update. Mr. Buttle began with challenges presented to the Board due to existing budget directives. He reported on the current budget status, which included detailed reports listed in the Board packet.
REVIEW OF TENTATIVE SCHEDULE
Mr. Sands reviewed the schedule of upcoming Board meetings. The next meeting is tentatively scheduled to be held in Norwalk in June.
Board Chair Eddie Barnes adjourned the Board meeting at 5:00 p.m.
Friday, April 30, 2010
CALL TO ORDER
Board Chair Edward Barnes called the meeting of the Contractors State License Board (CSLB) to order at 8:00 a.m. on April 30, 2010, in the Ferrante meeting room of the Monterey Convention Center. A quorum was established.
STRATEGIC PLANNING SESSION
The Board engaged in a Strategic Planning Session, facilitated by consultant Pat McLoughlin.
Board Chair Eddie Barnes adjourned the Board meeting at 1:00 p.m.