Welcome to the State of California

Change the text size:
Small | Medium | Large

How can I report unlicensed activity?

This section explains how consumers, building officials, and legitimate licensed contractors can report alleged unlicensed activity to CSLB.

Contact SWIFT

CSLB's Statewide Investigative Fraud Team (SWIFT) accepts complaints against unlicensed individuals actively working on a construction project where the combined cost for labor and materials is $500 or more.

Reporting unlicensed activity

The best way to let CSLB know about unlicensed activity is by downloading a SWIFT Lead Referral form. After completing the form, fax or mail it to the appropriate SWIFT office, based on the county where the alleged unlicensed activity is taking place.

Northern SWIFT Central SWIFT Southern SWIFT
Alameda County Placer County Fresno County Imperial County
Alpine County Plumas County Inyo County Los Angeles County
Amador County Sacramento County Kern County Orange County
Butte County San Francisco County Kings County Riverside County
Calaveras County San Joaquin County Madera County San Bernardino County
Colusa County San Mateo County Mariposa County San Diego County
Contra Costa County Santa Clara County Merced County Ventura County
Del Norte County Shasta County Mono County  
El Dorado County Sierra County Monterey County  
Glenn County Siskiyou County San Benito County  
Humboldt County Solano County San Luis Obispo County  
Lake County Sonoma County Santa Barbara County  
Lassen County Stanislaus County Santa Cruz County  
Marin County Sutter County Tulare County  
Mendocino County Tehama County Tuolumne County  
Modoc County Trinity County    
Napa County Yolo County    
Nevada County Yuba County    

Northern SWIFT
9821 Business Park Drive
Sacramento, CA 95827
Office numbers (916) 255-2924 / Fax (916) 369-7265

Central SWIFT
1277 E. Alluvial Avenue, Suite 106
Fresno, CA 93720
Office numbers (559) 490-0580 / Fax (559) 447-1492

Southern SWIFT
12501 East Imperial Highway, Suite 610
Norwalk, CA 90650
Office numbers (562) 345-7600 / Fax (562) 466-6065

Please Note: It's important that you provide SWIFT with complete and detailed information about the unlicensed activity and indicate if there are employees on the project. The more information and evidence (including photos), the better.

Complaints are processed according to the date of receipt, priority, and staff availability if the job site is located in a remote area. The complaint will be assigned to an enforcement representative who will follow up on the information provided.